Saturday, July 26, 2014

Five Fabulous First Dance Songs

The newlyweds' first dance can really set the tone for their wedding reception, and I love the idea of the first dance being representative of the couple it celebrates. We've all seen..er heard... couples use Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply," Faith Hill's "Breathe," and Train's "Marry Me." Here are my top five ideas for a first dance that might be a little more unique...

5. "Make a New Dance Up" by Hey Ocean!
"You make me wanna dance / Like no one ever has / And you know all the moves / Cause it's our dance"
This song would be perfect for a fun-loving, quirky couple. The beat is a little quicker than a typical slow dance so it might require some silly dance moves. It could also be a great way to get guests on their feet and dancing, too!


4. "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan
"Your love is better than ice cream / Better than anything else that I've tried"
I like this one because of it's simplicity. It's short, sweet, and to the point. I can only imagine that for a shy couple, having every wedding guest watching and photographing the first dance after surviving the ceremony might be a little nerve racking. At least it would be for me! This song, at just under 3 minutes, can offer a beautiful moment between the couple, without becoming overwhelming.

3. "Gypsy" by Lady Gaga
"Pack your bags and we can chase the sunset / 'cause it's you and me / baby for life!"
It's just such a fun song! Great for a high-energy couple who have found a never-settling-down match in their partner.

2. "More Than Life" by Whitley
"And we are homeward bound / And I, I want this more than life"
Slowing things down a little bit, this Whitley song is beautiful and romantic. The lyrics suggest it would be perfect for a couple who has been through hard times together and have helped each other heal.

1. "Latch (Acoustic)" by Sam Smith
"You lift my heart up when the rest of me is down / You, you enchant me even when you're not around"
Ok, so let's be honest. This has probably been the first dance at every single reception that's taken place since the acoustic version was released. However, that's because it's perfect. The lyrics are heartfelt, and Sam Smith has the most soulful voice to ever come out of such a potato-faced man. It also offers a perfect book-end opportunity for the night's music; open the dance floor with this, and close the night with Disclosure's version. Now, let's hold hands and cry about how much we love love.





No comments:

Post a Comment